Enforcing your divorce agreement

Posted on August 14, 2008 by Gail Otis

If your spouse was ordered to pay you alimony, child support or for other expenses, or to allow you access to your children, and has not done so, then they may be in contempt. You must first review the Court order or judgment to determine if there are grounds for you to file a complaint for contempt against them. Such a complaint may be filed to force the other person to follow the order from the Court.

It may mean that you will be able to collect support owed to you, sometimes with interest, or expenses which should have been paid but have not. If visitation with children has been denied, the other parent will usually be ordered to cooperate and allow visits. In a complaint for contempt you are permitted to request that your attorney's fees be paid, if the other person is found in contempt. You should speak with your attorney about whether collection of fees is appropriate or possible in your case.

Child Support, Custody Issues, Divorce Tags: agreement, alimony, Child Support, complaint, contempt, Court, Divorce, fees, judgment, temporary orders Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

Please do not post comments about the specifics of your legal issues.
Comments are to enable discussion on the topic at hand.
These communications do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.
If you have specific legal questions, please consult an attorney.

Please answer the security questions below (Click the submit button below when done):