Is there anything you should do if you are considering a divorce?

Posted on August 14, 2008 by Gail Otis

If you think you may wish to seek a divorce from your spouse, there are steps you can take in preparation. Having representation by an attorney whose practice includes a substantial portion of family law is strongly recommended. If you are comfortable speaking confidentially with others, you may wish to seek recommendations for an attorney. You may also contact the Massachusetts Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service and obtain a referral to a family law attorney in your area. Some attorneys may offer free consultations and others will charge a consultation fee. Be prepared when you go for the consultation by providing the attorney with as much information as possible in order to use the time productively. Examples of documents an attorney may find helpful include:

  • 1-3 years of income tax returns;
  • at least one, if not more, recent statement for all bank accounts, pensions, retirement accounts, stock/investment accounts for you and your spouse;
  • recent pay stubs for you and your spouse, if applicable; and
  • as much detail about all assets and expenses as you can collect, whether such assets and expenses are in your name or your spouse?s name.

In advance of your meeting prepare a list of your questions and concerns so that you are able to have your questions answered as fully as possible. Keep in mind that your attorney will not be able to predict how long the action may take until concluded, and how much the divorce will cost, because these factors are dependent upon how reasonable you and your spouse are, how motivated each of you may, or may not, be to resolve the issues in the divorce, and who your spouse retains to represent him or her.

Divorce, Preparing for Divorce Tags: attorney, consultation, Divorce, representation Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

Please do not post comments about the specifics of your legal issues.
Comments are to enable discussion on the topic at hand.
These communications do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.
If you have specific legal questions, please consult an attorney.

Please answer the security questions below (Click the submit button below when done):