Can my stimulus check be taken for child support?

Posted on September 15, 2008 by Gail Otis

In an article dated September 9, 2008, reported on the interception of economic stimulus checks in cases where a parent owes child support. According to the Article, states submit the Social Security numbers of deadbeat parents to the IRS, and the numbers are cross checked against taxpayers who will be receiving checks. If it is determined that a taxpayer owes support, the checks are sent directly to the state. In Massachusetts, you have 180 days to file an appeal if you believe that your check has been intercepted in error. In other states, the checks may be held for a different length of time.

As for the parent to whom the support is due, the article advises,

'If the appeal is denied, the money is turned over to the parent who has custody, in most cases the mother, unless she has been on public assistance, in which case the funds can go back to the state and federal government to reimburse the taxpayers.'

Child Support, Taxes Tags: Child Support, stimulus checks, tax refunds Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

Please do not post comments about the specifics of your legal issues.
Comments are to enable discussion on the topic at hand.
These communications do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.
If you have specific legal questions, please consult an attorney.

Please answer the security questions below (Click the submit button below when done):